2 Things on a Tuesday: Magic, & Baseball

I don’t know what the Hell is up with the Yankees, but after an awesomely impressive and fun start, they’ve dropped something like ten of their last thirteen, often on botched saves from the bullpen.  Most of those have been close, but it’s nevertheless been frustrating as all get out.  I keep reading that this is the team’s long-expected reversion to the mean, but I confess that I don’t enjoy the inconsistency.  The Bombers actually won a game last night, with an excellent pitching performance by my man, rookie Jordan Montgomery, and a single-shot home run by new first baseman Tyler Austin.  Still, despite heading into the 9th with a five-run lead, they barely managed to escape with the victory.
None of which has a thing to do with my decision to run three days’ worth of “5 Things on a Friday” this week.  It’s just been weighing on me.
As I write this, it’s early Tuesday, and I’ve already found almost a full week’s worth of “5 Things on a Friday”-type articles.  Rather than cut down or make anything resembling editorial decisions, I’ve decided instead just to run my favorite feature all week long.
Enjoy!
Despite hitting .220 for the low-A Columbia Fireflies, the Mets promoted [Tebow] to high-A St. Lucie yesterday.
“His on-base, his isolated power, his swing, exit velocity. A lot of different things have been much better in the last 15 games or something like that,” Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson said, via Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News. “On the other hand, we recognize this is not a usual circumstance, but we just felt, everything involved, it was about the right time for him to move to high-A ball.”
The new home of football great Tim Tebow.
*Groan*
Honestly, when I saw that Tebow was hitting.220 with just 3 homers in low-A ball as we approach mid-season, I thought that maybe the Mets were going to cut him at summer’s end.  I mean, he’s great for minor league ticket sales, but it’s ludicrous to think he can get beyond even AA ball.  At 29, the potential just isn’t there.
Right?  At a certain point, wouldn’t they rather have an actual baseball player filling his spot on their roster?
Not just an actress...
Gwyneth Paltrow has invented stickers that promote healing. Yes, stickers. Little circular stick-on thingies that you might give to your 1st-grader as a reward for doing her homework…
Here's what Goop says now, in an article called "Wearable Stickers that Promote Healing (Really!)":
"Human bodies operate at an ideal energetic frequency, but everyday stresses and anxiety can throw off our internal balance, depleting our energy reserves and weakening our immune systems. Body Vibes stickers come pre-programmed to an ideal frequency, allowing them to target imbalances."
So yeah.  You get a sheet of ten stickers for just $60.  
Please, please, please, no one tell my wife about this.  I’d like to tell you that I’d be man enough to stand up to her inevitable desire for a sheet of Magic Stickers, but the truth is that I’m 90% sure that we’d wind up with a whole box of these in our medicine cabinet in our downstairs bathroom.
Alas.
* * *
Am I the only one watching G.L.O.W. on Netflix?
Sally and I have really enjoyed it, though we’re not quite half way through as of this writing.  But we’ve liked what we’ve seen so far enough that we might even sit down and watch the G.L.O.W. documentary, also on Netflix, that inspired the fictionalized series.  That’s how curious this Netflix series has made us.
I remember watching the original G.L.O.W. as a high school freshman on Saturday mornings, back before Saturday mornings meant either three-hour swim practices or swim meets 100% of the time.  Did the original series have the same kind of implicit social commentary baked into it that the new Netflix series seems determined to give the fictionalized show?  
My memories tell me that it was campy and contrived, but that they never quite dialed the titillation factor up to eleven the way that they might have.  I mean, it was definitely a show about a bunch of gorgeous ladies of wrestling, but it was no worse than, say, an episode of Baywatch could be.  In fact, in many ways it wasn’t even that bad.  It certainly wasn’t the kind of pure T&A that something like women’s oil wrestling usually is.  We caught some live ladies’ oil wrestling as young lieutenants out at a honky-tonk just north of Fort Knox one time, and… well, it made G.L.O.W. look like the legitimate social commentary that it purports to be in the Netflix series.  Which, looking back, it may very well have been in reality.


See?  This is why I want to watch the documentary.  I really want to know what it was they thought they were accomplishing way back when.
* * *
That’s all I’ve got for now.  Check back on Thursday if you want more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Malvern Manor

D&D: Guinea Pigs & Were-Guinea Pigs